Monday, May 16, 2011

Twisted Pine - Ghost Face Killah


If you were in Colorado yesterday, you may have noticed that it was a pretty lousy day, cold and rainy.  Fortunately or unfortunately, I spent the morning outside helping my brew club install some water lines for the Hop Yard at the Rock Yard in Castle Rock.

Luckily enough, someone much smarter than I, thought ahead and brought along some beer. I have to say that I have been contemplating trying this beer since it was released, but I was a tad bit apprehensive as I don't handle spicy food very well.  But given that it was 35 and drizzling, I couldn't have asked for a better climate to try what Twisted Pine has labeled the "Hottest beer this side of hell."

If you are not familiar with this new release, Ghost Face Killah is a chili beer that is absolutely loaded with peppers. This includes serrano, jalapeno, habanero, fresno, anaheim and of course the rediculously hot ghost pepper. At first taste, I was getting a bit nervous as the heat began to increase but then planed off to a deliciously hot and yet somehow enjoyable level. I have to say that I have never been a big fan of chili beers in the past. I think that many times too much emphasis is put into the chili's and not enough into the beer. This is definitely not the case with Twisted Pine Ghost Face Killah. The malt actually comes through to create a wonderfully tasting beer with a nice chili heat and flavor. Don't get me wrong, the heat is definitely there. But it is not crippling.

I don't know that I could drink more than one in a sitting. But I am looking forward to having another Ghost Face Killah sometime very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment